At our new 5.11 Tactical Development Center in Irvine, we continue to strive to meet the needs of Law Enforcement, Firefighting, Emergency Medical, and Military professionals by enhancing safety, accuracy, speed and performance through the design and creation of superior and functionally innovative apparel, shoes, bags, backpacks, and accessories. Built on a foundation of durability and quality, the cutting-edge design features provide comfort and protection to those who protect and serve us every day.
Our tremendous growth and expansion has created an exciting and growing opportunity for a Sr. Designer for Hardlines who will be responsible for designing 5.11 bags and gear from fabric / material and trim development, initial prototype, pricing, wear testing, sales samples to a commercialized product. He/She will facilitate the redevelopment of in-line products to assure consistency between different manufacturers. Strong knowledge of specialized pack and bag construction techniques (seam sealing / welding, bonding, fabrication, molding) is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports to the Director of Design assuring Product Language, Branding and Functional Innovations are met.
- Works closely with the Director of Merchandising, Director of Product Development, and the Technical Designer to facilitate the development of style, fabric and trim developments.
- Assures the product meets corporate standards for quality and functionality as well as unique product standards outlined by the Director of Merchandising and the Designer.
- Develops the product to meet price and sourcing strategies outlined.
- Keeps internal team updated on the status throughout the development process.
- Ensures that timelines are maintained for development and redevelopment of products.
- Understands the rules and regulations to achieve the outlined standards to ensure compliance to brand, regulatory, and other standards. This would include Pack / bag needs, Ansi standards, NFPA, etc.
- Supports in product costing.
- Assures that product testing is completed on new products and meets the standards and requirements outlined.
- Aides in managing outside designers within the category to ensure the design projects are developing according to the line plan.
- Develops fabric, trim and hardware in accordance with corporate and product specific strength and color standards, within timeline goals.
- Reviews new products with Embellishment team to confirm product meets embellishment needs.